Until today. Today I pay homage to the dollar store. I am not only on the bandwagon, I am leading the charge. When we were asked the day before (I know, don't get me started) to plan and run the children's area of our ward Christmas party, I was a little stressed. But then I went to the dollar store. Christmas decorations galor, eraser and pencil prizes, plastic table cloths, candy canes--all for a dollar. Amazing. I left there feeling confident the kids area was good to go. I am a dollar store convert.
As it turns out, the kids area did go well. And at the risk of sounding like a feature for Seriously So Blessed (hilariously mocking this and every other Mormon mommy blog), I kind of fell in love with my husband all over again that night. I was running the games section and Chris was running the story time section. I was worried that during the story time rotation, the kids would be looking longingly at the games and crafts area. But then at one point I looked over to see Chris reading "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (as you can imagine, he was very animated) and then I saw that he had all of the kids standing holding hands rocking back and forth at the part when Christmas goes on in Whoville without the gifts and trees. I wanted to stop what I was doing to hug him.
So, there you go. Merry Christmas and happy dollar store shopping!
Ella and cousin Charlie at the ward Christmas party--
does she look terrified or what?
Yay Heather! Way to go! I love to read what you write. :)
ReplyDeletei LOVE this story! i can see chris with his fanny pack getting a deal at the dollar store and i can see him stirring up the who-ville kids to unite in christmas spirit!! i'm glad your children's section corner went well!
ReplyDeleteHilarious!!! Chris is truly one of a kind! (In a good way!!) Charlie totally looks like your brother to me. I'm having flashbacks of my childhood! So cool that you had a Ventura t-giving. I don't want to get too excited or my hopes up, but Josh is interviewing with a company that has an ORANGE COUNTY office! Pray for us!!! :) The dollar store has become my friend in the past few years too. Any time I have to do a giant mural painting for something, I use their plastic table cloths. I love that you feel like you're rich there! Ha, good point!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I didn't learn the value of the dollar store until I tried to keep 3 little ones happy on a 3 day car trip! Now we always venture to the local Dollar Tree if we need something quick! Glad you are learning this a bit earlier!
ReplyDeleteI was totally picturing chris doing all the voices and singing at the top of his lungs...We miss you guys! Hope you are having a very merry christmas vacation:)
ReplyDeleteShame on you for ever doubting the power and wisdom of the dollar store. Chris and Caitlin are so much alike Inthis arena.
ReplyDeleteman, i'm so excited you finally saw the light i'm making my second comment on a blog ever (the first was my 9 year old nephew's blog "maxie taxie". Can't wait till you hit up the Dollar Tree in oakland, you'll never go back down south
ReplyDeleteI love your blog! You are so great, haha-the dollar store. I know-it has saved my hide so many times. Still though, sometimes it's just hard to remember that and keep going back. Haha! Chris is funny with his fanny pack. My friend and I coined the phrase, "bring back the fanny pack!" lol!!
ReplyDeleteThe grinch part of this post-was the best. And I love the seriously do blessed blog. Haha! See you a few hours!