Last weekend, we trekked 3 1/2 hours up there with a bunch of friends to stay at the Wilderness Territory--the largest indoor waterpark. We had a fabulous time and Chris was pretty much in heaven. Ella was terrified for the first twenty minutes, but then warmed up. Thanks Wortleys, Mulcocks, and Burgons for such a fun weekend! (Coles, you were missed).
Our adventure started with a stop at "the best dollar store" Chris has been to (and he's a connoisseur of dollar stores) and then on to Madison, Wiconsin (a place I've wanted to visit ever since reading Wallace Stegner's "Crossing to Safety"). I immediately fell in love with the town--the capital building and university are stunning. The best part, however, was Ella's Deli--a place we stumbled on and decided to stay for lunch. How could we resist stopping at a place surely named for our baby? This place had a carousel in the parking lot, all manner of crazy things hanging from the ceiling, and pretty good food for this kind of dive.
We checked into our hotel/cabin and immediately headed over to the waterpark.
Doesn't Ella look so excited in her new swimsuit from Grandma and Grandpa Pabst?
Our friends joined us later that night and we spent all day at the waterpark. But first we started with a yummy crepe breakfast.
The boys and the babes
Now for the park! The whole crew. We appreciate the Wortleys (in the middle) for holding Ella so much so Chris and I could go on rides together. They are big Ella fans and the impetus for this trip was to see them (they recently moved to Minneapolis and met us there). We heart Don and Liz!
We took turns taking care of the babies.
Jeff and cute little Max (notice Chris' photo bomb in the background)
Ella and her buddy Jane. Her mom, Lindy, and I go for a lot of walks together so usually their interaction is limited to smiling at each other and reaching toward each other from their strollers. This time they were able to offer each other some real support.
Ella looking a little terrified.
Commiserating on how to get out of this mess...
Jane looking for some protection from Ella (after all, she is 4 months older).
Ella finally warms up to the place!

Ella makes the best faces, I love it!
ReplyDeleteYeah! How fun. I will have to stop by Ella's Diner next time I am in Madison. Glad you had so much fun at the Dells. I loved my tour of the Art Institute thanks for making it so much fun. We miss you guys.
ReplyDeleteWe've eaten at Ella's Deli! That place is awesome. I agree, a bit of a dive, but the inside is SO COOL for little kids!
ReplyDeleteYou are brave to take babies to the Dells. But that was so nice to have so many babies there so you were mostly all in the same boat and could take turns with the kids. I love the photos! :)
Thanks for such a great weekend! It was so good to see you guys and we had so much fun! See you guys in May!
ReplyDeleteOf course Heather Ward would love "Crossing to Safety"--maybe almost as much as I do! Isn't Madison charming? I never served there but spent a few P-days on my mission sightseeing. As for the WI Dells, wish we were Midwesterners and could have joined you!
ReplyDelete