This trip was Ella's first visit to New York and she LOVED it! We walked all over the city and she'd try to stand up in her stroller with both arms high over head (think roller coaster position). When she saw something interesting, she'd whip her head around and hang out the side of her stroller to watch the kid/dog/whatever pass by. She smiled at everyone and made lots of friends. At one point on the subway she had 6 or 7 people staring at her, smiling at her, and talking about her. My serious Ella has suddenly become very social and silly. It was such a kick to watch a 10 month old baby grasp the excitement of that city.
Here are some of the highlights:
My old Young Women presidency in the Inwood 1st Ward--such a fun reunion at Popover Cafe (these women helped me survive Friday night youth group activities for almost 4 years--I just love them)
Cupcakes at yummy Magnolia Bakery
A major highlight was visiting The Computer School where I taught for 3 years. I loved it there and some of my best friends in the city were made at that job. I forgot to take picture of our visits together, but here is a picture from a previous trip when we all went to dinner (that night was cold, but for this trip it was in the upper 80's most of the week)
Dinner at the Shake Shack with one of my old young women. Even though I am not their Young Women president any more, I still feel like I need to interrogate them and dispense advice when we're together. They are good sports about it.
Japanese garden at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
An elated Ella at Central Park--notice that she is almost always carrying something when she is walking. She likes to gather as many toys, blankets, or stuffed animals to carry as she walks around. It cracks us up. No toys at the park so she had to resort to my camera case and sticks.
Finally, the main reason for the trip was that 2 of my best friends (and college roommates) Shima and Kami had both just returned from living in Malawi. We decided we needed a girls trip and so met up in New York (where we were lucky enough to all live for 3 years at the same time after college). We stayed with Kami's mom (our hero--more on that in an upcoming post) and we spent hours talking, walking, and eating lots of yummy food. I joked that it was like having 2 full-time nannies to help with Ella. Hanging out with these girls is like getting a re-charge. Life is good.
Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge--perhaps my favorite thing to do in New York
I learned all my New York biases from this girl
Kami had been talking about Di Fara's Pizza for years. It did not disappoint and was worth schlepping way out into Brooklyn.
Brunch at Norma's--whoever thought of creme brulee waffles is a genius
Ella was a rockstar on this trip
Final day at Columbus Circle
I know Ella, I heart New York too!








So fun! I love how Ella's chubby little legs taper down to teensy weensy feet! What a cute little personality she has! I love your hair curly. How fun to catch up with old friends. I bet that was a blast.
ReplyDeleteawwww.....that makes me excited. Lets talk soon about your trip. I need all the advice I can get!!
ReplyDeleteYou look awesome!
ReplyDeleteYeah! It reminded me of when we came and Andrew was about Ella's age. We even have the same onesie! Thanks for sharing NY with us. What a great place, glad you got to go back and see all your friends!
ReplyDeleteWe were sooooo happy you came!
ReplyDeleteTerese stole my comment!! I am LOVING that you have discovered the curly hair. Good to know that my tutelage was not for naught!! : ) Now I want to know what product you use. I also liked this quote. "Even though I am not their Young Women president any more, I still feel like I need to interrogate them and dispense advice when we're together." Ummm... you say this as if you reserved this behavior only for your Young Women? My dear cousin, this is what you do. Interrogate and dispense advice!! xxoo
ReplyDeleteWho knew you had a blog, Heather? A lot of people except me. What a great picture of the three of you (your header). Ella sounds/looks like a sweet little girl. i can't believe she's almost a year old. Time keeps flying. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile you could miss it.
ReplyDelete